This map is of the 1862 survey of T16SR65W, available online at www.glorecords.blm.gov. It shows the trail or stage coach route leading along the east bank of the Fountain Creek, much as the road does today, with the solid line being the addition of the Denver & Rio Grande railroad line in 1872. It is interesting to note that the Terrell house does not appear on the map. The only inhabitants shown in this part of the Fountain Valley are farther south, such on Tom Owens.
In a Feb 21, 1937 newspaper article written by C.S. Dudley, published in the Sunday Gazette and Telegraph, and found in the Pioneer Museum files, we learn that "Residents of town today do not know whether he [Tom Owens] or Mr. and Mrs. Amos Terrel were the first to build a house in the Fountain district. Owen's house stood three miles south of Fountain and was destroyed in the Memorial day flood in 1935. Another adobe house, constructed by Mr. and Mrs. Mathias Lock, very early residents of the place, also south of Fountain, likewise has vanished. A frame and earth building which Mr. and Mrs. Terrel built at the south edge of what is now the town of Fountain was torn down after the flood. A ranch house, with windowed lookout from the roof, said to have been constructed for use also as a fort, which stood some little distance north of Fountain, has been razed, after a bronze memorial tablet placed upon it was stolen. There remains, as one wall of a cowshed at the Sweetland ranch, a short distance north of Fountain, part of an old fort in which Mrs. Hovena Spicer, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lock, can remember taking refuge at time of expected Indian raids. In the south fringe of the town there is an old earth building which Tom Owens helped to construct. At the time Owen was building his house, if not just before or a little after, Mr. and Mrs. Amos Terrel built their house, partly frame and partly earth, on the very site of what was to become the town of Fountain. The building was not only their home, but was ling a stagecoach station. The house which they constructed, and which was torn down as the river banks were cleared after the flood, has been called the first house built in El Paso County.