|Woodmen Hall, probably in December 1913|
The building was evaluated in 1976 as part of the inventory of historic sites in El Paso County. Its owner at the time was William Bouk. The building boasted a tin roof on its twelve foot ceilings downstairs. Sixteen by eighteen inch timbers support the ceiling, and leaded glass windows spell out WOW in purple glass on the front of the building. History included a elaborate theater with curtains upstairs where dances and meeting were held. "Spanish-Americans were forced to dance in the basement." By 1932 the building held a store with a butcher shop in the back. It was later an auction house, and in 1976 was a furniture store. The upstairs had been closed because the floor was unsafe.
Marguerite Bulkley added that the first store in the Woodmen Hall may have been that of Henry Williams. After the Lock Ames store burned, the town had no place for meetings or dances, and the upstairs floor of the Hall was used for this.
|Charles Torbit Jr.|
|Fountain Trading Company (Torbit)|